Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thrifty Thursday

So here's what I've learned from couponing... it's boring to listen to people talk about coupons. That being said, it has saved us a ton of money.  It's getting more and more difficult to take Betty along with me to the grocery store so it's nice that it's more efficient to only go once a week. I can't go every day anymore. it's just too much work to chase Betty up and down the aisles and too embarrassing to pretend I don't hear her screaming when she's in the cart and people are staring at me as I push her around the store. I try to plan out my meals ahead of time and buy only what I need. The one coupon rule I force myself to use is to never use a coupon for something I wouldn't have purchased anyway. Sometimes it's difficult because I often catch myself thinking things like "$5.00 off of a new water filter!?! YES! but I don't need a new water filter. Nor do I need spiced tea bags or a free cinnamon roll with my coffee at Tim Horton's - I might go for that last one, actually. A good website for lots of tips is thekrazycouponlady.com. My mother-in-law set me up with a really cool coupon binder and I started buying the Sunday paper. The most I've ever saved on a shopping trip was 38% but I'm pretty proud of that. I don't use the $500.00 limit that they use on Extreme Couponing All Stars - my limit is $200.00.


Go ahead and judge... just wait until I'm eating my free cinnamon roll
I shop at Shaw's because they double coupons under $.99 and they have lots of sales and specials. The Shaw's in Portland was featured on Extreme Couponing All Stars so I know it's possible to walk out of that place with pretty much free stuff, although I'm not there yet myself.

This is what my livingroom looks like after i;m done clipping. The blank space in the middle is where I was sitting.

At the end of the day I have the time to do this and if I spend an hour clipping coupons each week and that saves me up to $60.00 on my groceries then that's totally worth it. Sometimes I forget how worth it it is and I procrastinate but the competitive crazy person inside me needs to beat my last best percentage so keep your receipts on hand for extra motivation! You can do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your happy thoughts