Tuesday, May 22, 2012

How-Tuesday!

Aunt Judy's Amazing Cherry & Almond Scones!

The first time I met Chad's aunt Judy she had made these scones for us. Chad and I were both hooked. She sent us home with a bag of about twelve scones and we ate each one before we pulled in the driveway of his parents house. She gave me the recipe, along with several other amazing recipes, In a cute little recipe box for a bridal shower gift. I'm so grateful she's given me permission to share this recipe with you and I'm sure it's going to be one of your new favorites. It's a keeper for sure.

What You'll Need

  • 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/3 cup Butter (or smart balance or vegetable shortening)
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 3.5 oz. marzipan or almond paste
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries
  • 1 egg (slightly beaten)
  • 4-6 tbsp coconut milk (or buttermilk)
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

What You'll Do

1.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

2.  In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar & baking powder. Cut butter and marzipan into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. 



3.  Stir in cherries then add the egg and enough coconut milk so that the dough leaves the sides of bowl.


4. Turn dough onto lightly floured pastry board and knead. Shape into ball and cut in two.  Press each section into half-inch thick circles and cut into wedges.


5.  Place on cookie sheet or Silpat and brush with a mixture of egg-white and almond extract.


6.  Place in oven and bake for 10 - 12 minutes. remove from cookie sheet immediately and place on rack to cool.


hehe... My oven is sooo small :)  you don't have to arrange the scones to look like bow-ties but it makes me smile so that's what I did.

7.  Enjoy!!! please tell me what you think or let me know if you try anything new! If you get really excited about it, take a picture and post a link! Happy Home-making!



P.S. There are endless variation possibilities with this recipe. Try chocolate chip & vanilla extract, orange zest & dried cranberries, banana & walnut. try out something new and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your happy thoughts